Limiting backup storage per job

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
yamaharr1

Limiting backup storage per job

Post by yamaharr1 »

There really needs to be a way to limit the size of backups on a per job basis.

You have a generals setting already which covers all the jobs but this is not enough, there needs to be one on a per job.

If we sell backups to clients there is no way to limit it unless we set 1 limit backup, 1 size doesn't fit all, 1 client might want 1 GB while another wants 30GB or 100GB we could create jobs based on those needs and limit their backup to that size.

The backup should start with
Databases
www files
emails
etc.
if the limit is reached then the backup stops, we should receive notices before they reach their limit and notices when they have maxed their limit.

We should also be able to exclude any and all other files (being able to backup ONLY the clients data) I've used the exclude already in the job but way to much still gets through because a lot of the backup are other files, without any guide on how to exclude them I've had no luck stopping them from getting added to the backups.

You have a great product that just needs a bit more development, I hope you can see the value the above will bring to your clients because it will bring a huge amount of value to me for my clients.
groovybluedog

Re: Limiting backup storage per job

Post by groovybluedog »

To be honest this "solution" needs a lot of changes. Some of the interface is too complicated and doesn't make sense; yet other parts work flawlessly - but there is definitely room for improvement and I agree there should be this option! If they were to implement this in 2025, I would hope they put in options for us to select the ordering and priority; for example I might select your order but I might want to force all databases to back up regardless of size; or what about when the size is reached in the middle of a database? Does it all get backed up of does half of that database get dropped?
yamaharr1

Re: Limiting backup storage per job

Post by yamaharr1 »

Yea the lack of forum support has me searching for an alternative now.
Does it all get backed up of does half of that database get dropped?
They already have this in the settings, but it is system wide, meaning I have to set a single size no matter how many jobs I create they will all be stuck in that parameter.
One size doesn't fit all, right now you either don't use this setting and the users can backup as much as they want or you are stuck at that single setting. So if you set it to 10GB but a user paid for 1GB they still get 10GB, and if you don't set it they then get unlimited GB backups.

I would think if it can't backup the database it gets dropped and a notice sent out to free up space or upgrade to a larger plan.