User not found on linux system

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
webicom

User not found on linux system

Post by webicom »

Today I was trying to restore orphan cpanel account. I could not en erro was: [ERROR] User not found on linux system
Then I recreated cpanel account under WHM and then useed option to resotre Full Account and it was successfull.
Does anyone know why did I get error [ERROR] User not found on linux system

Regards, Erik
JetAppsAdam
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: User not found on linux system

Post by JetAppsAdam »

Hello Erik,

This is an error that can sometimes occur if the user's data/folders/files exist on the server before the restore. Sometimes these files can be left over from when an account was terminated by cPanel. If this issue persists please do not hesitate to open a support ticket by emailing [email protected].
Thank you,

Adam G
JetApps, LLC.
JetApps.com | JetBackup.com
JetAppsAdam
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: User not found on linux system

Post by JetAppsAdam »

Hello Erik,

I just wanted to follow up on this post to expand on how you can further verify that your issue is in fact leftover cPanel user files that are causing this issue. One method would be to run the following commands, filling in the relevant "user" and "domain" names with the account that is causing the issue:

ls -ld /var/cpanel/userdata/user
grep "domain" /etc/userdatadomains
grep -R DOMAIN /var/cpanel/user*

Alternatively, you can also Review the cPanel restore logs at WHM > Review Transfers and Restores > Click on "Actions" with the corresponding restore start/end time

In order to work around this issue you can follow this guide here to recreate the missing user data, terminate the account again, and then restore from your backup:

https://support.cpanel.net/hc/en-us/art ... -USERNAME-

If this workaround does not work, we highly advise that you open a ticket with cPanel as they can probably provide you with a more comprehensive method of removing leftover data from a terminated account.
Thank you,

Adam G
JetApps, LLC.
JetApps.com | JetBackup.com