Best solution for server migration?

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
gabor

Best solution for server migration?

Post by gabor »

Hello,

we are currently using JetBackup 5 with cPanel, and I was wondering, which is the best solution to migrate accounts from one server to another.
The time has come to replace one of our cpanel servers with a new one, so it is necessary to move the accounts from the old server to the new one with the minimum of downtime.

Clone jobs seems to be the solution for this usecase, can someone confirm this? Run once to copy data, then run immediately before assigning the ip addresses to the new server.

My questions/concerns are:
1. I've read the following note in the documentation:
In order to allow for Cross-Panel Clone Jobs, JetBackup 5 will automatically adjust the Account public_html directory to a unique public_html_migrated directory.
Does this apply to cpanel to cpanel clone or only cross-panel migrations? Do I have to deal with anything other than ip allocation?

2. We have multiple reseller accounts on this server, with dedicated ip adresses. Does the clone job copy the "ip data" aswell? If the ip addresses is not assigned on the new server, will the clone job run successfully or will it fallback to the default ip, set in the settings?

I would be glad if you could share your experiences with this. Thank you!

best regards,
Gabor
JetAppsAnton
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Best solution for server migration?

Post by JetAppsAnton »

Hello Gabor,

Thank you for reaching out and opening this thread regarding utilizing JetBackup 5's Clone Jobs to assist with server migration. To address your questions:

(1) Yes, the `public_html_migrated` only applies for cross-panel migrations. The account's public_html remains intact when cloning from within the same panel. On top of IP allocation, you would also need to check you are rerouting your traffic (Floating IP, BGP Re-Route, DNS Failover etc..) accordingly to the server you are migrating to.

May I also suggest checking out our COS6 to COS7 cPanel Migration Guide to get additional information on this process: https://blog.jetapps.com/centos-6-to-ce ... ion-guide/
Please do note that we used JetBackup 4 for this particular guide but the Clone Job process should be similar to JetBackup 5.

(2) During the cloning process, JetBackup 5 will first try to assign the IP ("IP data") from the source account (user/reseller). However, if the IP does not exist on the clone server, JetBackup will check for a "Failover" IP specified under the JB5 Panel settings on your clone server, and if not set, will default to your clone server's main IP.

I hope I'm able to address your questions. I also highly recommend running a test migration by utilizing Clone Jobs first to identify any additional considerations you may need to account for.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to our 24/7 Technical support team at [email protected]

Best Regards,
Anton, JetApps Team