Disk space requirements for account restore?

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
MEPlus

Disk space requirements for account restore?

Post by MEPlus »

Hi folks.

I have a cPanel server that has around 25 accounts, one of which contains nearly 200 GB of Emails (while the 24 other accounts all together only use around 50 GB in total!). My backups are sent over SSH to my home NAS (I use a small Linux VM at home that mounts my NAS over NFS, allowing Jetbackup 5 to work over SSH and store the data to the NAS itself).

I'm using incremental backups, which means I no longer need to pay my VPS provider for a 250 GB disk dedicated only for the temporary files required by the backup (that's what led me to switch from cPanel's native backup to Jetbackup 5 BTW). Incremental backups take around 150 MB during the backup process, emails being directly rsync'ed with the remote destination.

I'm wondering what disk space is used by Jetbackup 5 when doing an account restore from an SSH incremental destination? Would it have similar low temporary space requirements, or would it require more space to download the data used by the restore process (in which case I could temporarily add a 250 GB disk to my VPS for the JB workspace, do the restore, then delete the temporary disk - I'd only be billed for the time the disk existed).

Thanks!
JetappsCris
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Disk space requirements for account restore?

Post by JetappsCris »

Hello MEPlus,

Thank you for reaching out through our forums. Since you are using SSH(rsync), you would only need to account for the Panel information (Panel Config backup item) and database dumps(compressed) for each account to store temporarily during restoration. For all other backup items. including emails, JetBackup would simply transfer your data directly to the associated account's home directory and the additional required space to process a restore is minimized to only the Account's Panel Config and Database dumps.

To summarize, if you are restoring these accounts, you would not need an additional 250GB just for the emails. However, you would need some temporary space for the accounts' Panel information and compressed database dumps.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.
Best Regards,
Cristofer, JetApps Team
MEPlus

Post by MEPlus »

So, the same as with the backup process (which took roughly 130 MB for that specific account). Excellent, thank you!
JetappsCris
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetappsCris »

Hi MEPlus,

If that is all you saw that was used, then yes, that would be all you need for the restoration, along with sufficient space to store all the accounts' files, of course.

We're glad we could help with your inquiry. And as always, feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
The JetApps Team
Best Regards,
Cristofer, JetApps Team