Hetzner Box connection problem

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
gabi

Hetzner Box connection problem

Post by gabi »

Hello,

I am trying to set up a SSH destination to a Hetzner Box but I keep receiving the error: " Error: ssh: connect to host u______.your-storagebox.de port 23: Connection refused" using either key or password (I read and followed all the steps in the documentations of both Hetzner and Jetbackup). I have SSH enabled on the box (the cPanel backup works without any problems on port 22) but on JetBackup the errors are the same on port 22 and 23 (which I want for rsync).
I can connect on port 23 via sftp.
Anyone else encountered this problem? Thank you!
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Hetzner Box connection problem

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello gabi,

Thank you for reaching out through our forums. I am sorry to see you are having issues configuring your Hetzner Storage Box as an SSH Destination. I see that you already verified trying port 23 as mentioned in Hetzner documentation and also verified access to the storage box via sftp. The most common reason we see the error port 23: Connection refused is when the Heztner IP is being blocked by your server firewall. You can test this by trying to connect to your Hetzner using SSH

Code: Select all

ssh {USER}@u____.your.storagebox.de -p 23
If you are receiving the same error when running the above command, please check and make sure that the IP of your Hetzner is whitelisted on any firewall/security plugin you may have installed, such as CSF.

Additionally, Hetzner users are only able to write data in the /home directory as mentioned in the Hetzner Documentation. When assigning the Backup Directory for your Hetzner Storage box please make sure to use either the Relative or Absolute path to the Backup Directory under /home. For Example:

Code: Select all

./JetBackup (Relative)
/home/JetBackup (Absolute)
Using an invalid Backup Directory path could lead to some validation errors when trying to save your Destination.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you find that you are still having issues connecting your Hetzner Storage as a JetBackup Destination, feel free to open a support ticket at [email protected] and our support team will gladly investigate further.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team
gabi

Post by gabi »

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. Tried all these mentioned above (the IP was already in the firewall allow/ignore) but to no avail. We finally had to cancel the box (because of the Hetzner support constantly sending us to you) and moved on to a S3 compatible solution. It's a pity that JetBackup v. 4 doesn't work with S3 destinations on incremental (we still have some servers with CloudLinux 6).
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello gabi,

I'm sorry to see that you were still unable to add your Hetzner Storage Box as an SSH Destination on JetBackup 5. I would like to reiterate that our support team is available 24/7/365 and would be more than willing to assist with Destination Configuration Issues on JetBackup. However, I see that for now, you have switched to our S3 Compatible Destination Types. If you have any further questions, feel free to let us know.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team