Restore directories

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
jlboutin60

Restore directories

Post by jlboutin60 »

I have a job that do a daily account and a daily directory compressed backup to a directory locally and in a S3 compatible cloud drive. There are no error in the backup log and I see the backup in both location

One of my account need to be restore, account and the directories, but in the restore & download tab I only see my Full Account backup, but not my directory backup. Also the account backup that are showed are the latest backup only, not the previous one.

How can I see all my backup available, account and directories
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Restore directories

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello jlboutin60,

Thank you for posting your inquiry in our Forums. Unfortunately, there is no current way to Restore/Download a Directories Backup within the JetBackup 5 interface. This is due to additional development/testing that is currently in progress and will be an available feature in future versions of JetBackup 5. We currently do not have an ETA on when this feature will be available, as we continually push updates to JetBackup 5 during its initial Stable release.

I would like to point out that Full Account Backups will backup the entire Home Directory of the account excluding any files set in the Exclude List. If you want to view older Account Backups for an account, you can do so by navigating to JetBackup 5 -> Accounts -> Select the Account you want -> View Backups and there will be a drop-down box where you can see previous Full Account Backups.
onlyFullBackups.PNG
onlyFullBackups.PNG (16.27 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Your compressed Directories Backups will need to be manually accessed and extracted from the destinations you have configured. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your continued support of JetBackup 5.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team
jlboutin60

Post by jlboutin60 »

Thank you for your answer, the problem I have is that the directories I backup is in /opt, not under /home

Does it mean that JetBackup is not the right backup solution that I should be using
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello jlboutin60,

As mentioned previously, it is possible to backup the directories located under /opt. Currently, there is no built-in feature that will allow you to restore or download the Directory Backup through the JetBackup 5 interface.

In order to restore your directory, you will need to download the backup manually by accessing your destination and extracting the compressed backup. You can then manually sync the files/folders you need to restore.

Our development team is working on the Restore and Download feature for Directory Backups. I would recommend opening a Feature Request, in order to gain votes as the more popular a feature request is, the more priority our developers will give that feature in future releases. A request has not yet been made for the Restore and Download of Directories and you can do so by following this link: https://request.jetapps.com/topic/add/idea/.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team
jamesedward

Post by jamesedward »

This is crazy, so I can back up folders /var/log but I can't restore them?

So please share, how do I restore these individual files if I need to? How exactly do I now manually download the backup by accessing the destination and extracting the compressed backup? How do I manually sync the files/folders you need to restore.
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello jamesedward,

Correct, JetBackup 5 allows Directory Backup types but does not have a built-in Restore and Download feature at the moment. This is a planned feature that will be included in future versions of JetBackup 5. As mentioned in our documentation, it is possible to manually access your Directory Backups when using an unencrypted Backup Job to a Local or SSH Destination. Please note that S3-Compatible destinations such as Amazon S3, Wasabi, Google Cloud Storage, etc.. utilizes our new Backup Engine that is using object storage format for backups. This new storage format applies JetBackup's new Proprietary Backup structure that allows for more efficient backups, and incremental capabilities to ALL destinations which makes the backups non-human readable when accessing manually through the destination. Our Local and SSH Destinations use rsync to transfer backups to the destination and thus stores the backups in a File Structure that is accessible via SSH.

To access your backup, SSH into the destination and navigate to the Backup Directory that you have set in the Destination Configuration. Once there you will find the Backup Job folders with the following naming convention for Directory Backups:

Code: Select all

jetbackup_2_BACKUPJOBID/snap.#
cd into the snap directory of the Directory Backup you want to restore. Depending on the Backup Structure (incremental/compressed/archived) the backups will be stored in either a File Structure or a single .tar/.tar.gz file for each directory included. You can then use rsync to manually sync the backed up files/directories to your original server. An example using a Local destination with incremental Directory Backups would be like the following:

Code: Select all

rsync -av /home/jetbackup/JB5Backups/jetbackup_2_4_60d2a47d1ef36f049857f8ea/snap.2/var/log /var/log
I hope you find this information helpful and apologies for any inconvenience. I would like to reiterate opening a Feature Request, in order to gain votes as the more popular a feature request is, the more priority our developers will give that feature in future releases. A request has not yet been made for the Restore and Download of Directories and you can do so by following this link: https://request.jetapps.com/topic/add/idea/.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team
jamesedward

Post by jamesedward »

Just wanted to say thank you for your reply. I look forward to the new version. I won't bother to open an FR as this sounds like it's already planned in the future.
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello, jamesedward,

Thank you for the update. Please be sure to follow our JetBackup 5 Changelog and our JetBackup 5 Release Notes to be updated when this feature is available. If you have any other questions feel free to let us know.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team