Best (cheap) option for 3TB backups on JB5

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
fbarajas

Best (cheap) option for 3TB backups on JB5

Post by fbarajas »

Hi! I'm searching for a good but cheap backup space/service for about 3TB space, that is compatible with JetBackup 5.1.10.

I tried with Backblaze (cheapest), but there are still some compatibility issues with the "S3-Compatible destination" plugin.

Then I tried with Wasabi (almost as cheap), it worked at first, but now it stopped working (again, compatibility issues, since Jetbackup's "S3-Compatible" plugin is still in "Unstable/Beta" version). I'm getting the "Protocol error client has been closed on function init_jetindex_snap_index_instance" error.

Jetbackup support answers that "Please be informed that this is a known issue with the S3 Compatible destination plugin (1.0.16) and the fix will be released in the following version(s)", but does not give an ETA for this fix...

I was thinking to use "Rsync.net", but it's way more expensive than Backblaze or Wasabi...

Any other option?

Thanks!
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Best (cheap) option for 3TB backups on JB5

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello fbarajas,

We are sorry to hear about the issues you experienced while using JetBackup 5's S3 Compatible plugin. As you mentioned, the S3 Compatible plugin is still flagged as experimental as we work to fix the bugs reported by you and other users. Your support and feedback are highly valued and helps us improve JetBackup 5 as we continue our efforts in its development. Thanks to reports from the community, we anticipate the next update for the S3 Compatible plugin to be available on STABLE tier within the next 3 - 6 months, as we work closely with the QA and Support Teams to approve each version before release. After internal tests are complete, the update will then go through our standard release cycle starting with EDGE/BETA tier before finally being released to the STABLE tier. With that said, if you are looking for stable backup generation, we recommend utilizing the Rsync-based plugins (Local/SSH) in JetBackup 5.

To give some general options for an SSH Destination, we have seen our community utilize configurations such as Hetzner and Rsync.net which you noted as a possible alternative to the S3 Compatible Destinations. These are but a couple of the more popular configurations for SSH destinations and we would love to see other options that our community has to offer. I would like to note that the SSH Destination must support basic Linux commands/rsync commands, and cannot backup to FUSE File Systems such as S3FS and SSHFS. For more information on the SSH Destination requirements please visit: https://docs.jetbackup.com/v5.1/adminpa ... estination

Thank you for your continued support of JetBackup 5 and for providing your feedback.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team