Change cpanel server with same backup job

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
ludolugo

Change cpanel server with same backup job

Post by ludolugo »

Hi,
We have to upgrade a cpanel server and we are transferinrg all accounts to a new server. i would like to keep the backups from the other server to the new one, like nothing changed. I was reading the disaster recovery docs but it is used to recover and restore all accounts from 0, since i have already transfer or restore all the account how can i configure the new jetbackup in the new server to keep to use the configurations and backups from the old server without restoring all the accounts?

Thanks
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Change cpanel server with same backup job

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello ludolugo,

Great question. Now that you have JetBackup installed on your new server, you may Create a Destination with the Backup Directory set to the same path that was configured on the old destination on the original JetBackup. Once you have created the destination, you can run the reindex command and it will find all the account backups under that destination. Once the reindex is complete, JetBackup will be able to see all the original backups.

Please let us know if you need further assistance,
Best Regards,

Richard Marroquin
JetApps Support
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team
ludolugo

Post by ludolugo »

great!!! it`s indexing all backups, but the next question would be: is it posible to create a backup job in the new server and that it uses the same folder from old server`s previous job ? as i understand when i create a new job it creates a new folder with a different ID
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello ludologo,

Glad to hear your backups are indexing properly!

To answer your next question:
ludolugo wrote: January 6th, 2021, 12:21 pm is it posible to create a backup job in the new server and that it uses the same folder from old server`s previous job ? as i understand when i create a new job it creates a new folder with a different ID
Unfortunately, as you mentioned, new installations of JetBackup create unique configurations for Backup Jobs (unique Backup Job IDs). This being the case, a new backup job created on the new server can use the same Backup Directory Path as the original, but will need to create a new unique Backup Folder within the destination.

However, the case you are trying to achieve is possible if the old server still has your JetBackup configuration installed. Here are the steps to recover your original JetBackup configuration on your new server.

On the original server run the following command

Code: Select all

jetcli backup --export
This will export the current JetBackup Configuration to a .tar file.

Next, transfer the .tar export to somewhere on your new server with JetBackup installed.
Next, run the following command with the path to the .tar file located on the new server.

Code: Select all

jetcli backup --import /Path/To/Export
You can find more information on these commands here: Import/Export Settings

JetBackup will restore the configurations you had set in the old server now on the new server. This will allow the backup jobs to use their same backup folders as before so long as the configuration remained the same. Please note that this method only works on JetBackup 4 as JetBackup 5 does not have the jetcli commands noted above.

Let us know if you need further assistance!
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team
ludolugo

Post by ludolugo »

Excellent, works like a charm.
thank you very much
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Glad we could be of assistance!

Please always feel free to reach out to us here or through our support tickets!
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team