Possible bug: Emojis lost during backup and restore

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
stephenhare

Possible bug: Emojis lost during backup and restore

Post by stephenhare »

Hi,

When a JetBackup account is restored (either full account or database), all emoji that were stored in content in that database are lost. With WordPress, these can be comments, posts and pages. See attached images.

The database in question was using "utf8mb4_unicode_ci" collation. (The "mb4" derivative is necessary or the emojis to work).

Is this a bug? Is there a workaround?

Thanks, Stephen
Attachments
last-emojis.jpg
last-emojis.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 10447 times
JetAppsAnton
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Possible bug: Emojis lost during backup and restore

Post by JetAppsAnton »

Hi stephenhare,

Thank you for the detailed information you provided regarding to your issue.

JetBackup uses mysqldump to backup databases and restoring databases with different collations, including utf8mb4, should be handled seamlessly. With that said, as a preliminary troubleshooting step, I suggest manually dumping and restoring the database in question to help narrow down your issue.

To better provide you with assistance on investigating your issue, please reach out to your license provider for support on your licensed product, which ensures a more expedient resolution to most issues.

If you directly purchased your JetBackup license and have an active account with us, please reach out to our support team through our helpdesk or emailing us at [email protected].

Best Regards,
Anton, JetApps Team.
Anton, JetApps Team
simonh

Post by simonh »

Hello,

I am having exactly the same issue. I have generated and downloaded a Database that contains emoji characters however in the generated .sql file the emoji characters end up like this:

??‍♂️??‍♀️ ????????????????????

Are you able to offer any advice?

Thanks,

Simon
simonh

Post by simonh »

My hosting provider who manage my JetBackup installation have informed me that JetBackup backups don't store emoji data correctly and that I need to use an alternative backup solution.

This is very disappointing as I am now in the situation where I am unable to fully restore data that I need.

Surely these days this is a basic requirement?
JetAppsAdam
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsAdam »

Hello simonh,

Just to provide an update on this case, we currently have a ticket open regarding this matter. This ticket has been escalated to our development team, and we will be sure to provide an update here once this issue has been resolved.
Thank you,

Adam G
JetApps, LLC.
JetApps.com | JetBackup.com
JetAppsAdam
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsAdam »

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to update this thread to let you know that this issue (JBB-#1534) was resolved with the release of JetBackup 5.3.2 to our public ALPHA tier! Please note that this is an alpha release, and as such we do not recommend installing on a production server. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Thank you,

Adam G
JetApps, LLC.
JetApps.com | JetBackup.com