S3 Backup Sending No Files

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
craigh

S3 Backup Sending No Files

Post by craigh »

Hello,
I'm trying to configure a S3 backup to Google Cloud. I have created the destination and it shows successful communication. I manually ran a backup, when I go to Google Cloud Storage I see a directory created by JetBackup. When I navigate to the snap.1 folder, I see a jetbackup.index but no other files. Thus, when I try and download the backup it fails because it shows the file path not found.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help,
Craig
JetAppsAnton
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: S3 Backup Sending No Files

Post by JetAppsAnton »

Hello Craig,

Thank you for your inquiry with regards to S3 Backups in JetBackup 5 to your Google Cloud Storage. First off, I just want to go over and take the opportunity briefly explain what goes behind S3 Backups. To clarify, the S3 protocol uses object storage where your data is stored as objects with unique identifiers, compared to standard file storage where your data are stored in files and directories and are human-readable.

As an example, this is how a snap is structured on JetBackup 5's backup format, organized per backup item plus additional metadata for JetBackup's use:

Code: Select all

├── snap.1
│   ├── certificate
│   ├── config
│   ├── cronjob
│   ├── database
│   ├── database_user
│   ├── domain
│   ├── email
│   ├── ftp
│   ├── homedir
│   ├── jetbackup.configs
│   └── jetbackup.index
├── snap.2
Once this data is transferred to an S3 Compatible Destination, this is then converted and stored as objects and will look something similar to the following:

Code: Select all

├── export
│   ├── snap.1
│   ├── snap.2
│    ....
├── files
│   ├── 6258c0a30008839f00001146
│   ├── 6258c0a30009115600001148
│   ├── 6258c0a3000914d000001149
│   ├── 6258c0a30009180b0000114b
│   ├── 6258c0a300091a820000114c
│   ├── 6258c0a300091f3400001151
│    ....
├── snap.1
│   └── jetbackup.index
├── snap.2
│   └── jetbackup.index
Under "files", this is where all your backup data across all the snaps are actually stored, and each object represents a file in the backup. Additionally, you will also have a corresponding "snap" and "export" data which stores the information required for JetBackup to read this backup.

Here is a good online resource for additional information on the different storage types: https://www.redhat.com/en/topics/data-s ... ct-storage

With that said, could you please clarify if you are trying to download your backup from within the JetBackup 5 interface? If so, I do like to add that you have the ability to view and download your backups through the Accounts Section as shown here: https://docs.jetbackup.com/v5.2/adminpa ... ew-backups

I hope you find the following information helpful and please don't hesitate to reach out to our 24/7 support team at [email protected] if you have any further questions regarding JetBackup 5!

Thank you,
Anton, JetApps Team
italloduarte

Post by italloduarte »

In this case, would I only be able to download these objects and use jetbackup 5 itself to restore the account?
JetAppsNate
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsNate »

Hello italloduarte,

That is correct, backups created and transferred to an S3 destination via JetBackup5 are only able to be downloaded and restored by JetBackup5. This is due to the use of out indexing engine which provides higher performance and allows for cross-panel account restores using JetBackup5.

I hope I could clarify that for you! If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out here or to our 24/7 support team at [email protected]!

Thank you!
Nate S.
JetApps Staff | JetApps, LLC.
Web: JetApps.com | JetBackup.com