Download or Restore Individual Files

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
fischer

Download or Restore Individual Files

Post by fischer »

In JetBackup 4 you could download or restore individual files though the Restore & Download -> Backup Type: File Backups -> Browse Files. I do not have the same options in JetBackup 5. Is that because I did an encrypted backup in JB5 or because JB5 does not have the ability to restore individual files?
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Download or Restore Individual Files

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello fischer,

Thank you for reaching out to our forums. In JetBackup 5 we have adjusted the UI for Account Backup Restore and Download to allow for more granularity of the Backup Items you wish to restore. While the UI is much different compared to JetBackup 4, you are still able to select Files to Restore or Download.

First, navigate to the Accounts Page -> Select an account -> Select View Backups and you will see the following screen:
viewBackups.png
viewBackups.png (20.75 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
From this screen select the Full Backup you wish to restore files from and then press Show Advanced Settings. This will expand the Backup Items selection menu.
viewBackupsAdv.png
viewBackupsAdv.png (34.32 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Select the Homedir tab and you will see a Change Files Selection button next to the Homedir backup selected. Use this button to select all the files and folders you wish to restore or download.
fileselection.png
fileselection.png (37.03 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
You can find more information about this feature in our documentation at Home Directory - Files Restore/Download. We understand that this new UI needs improvements for its usability and our developers are actively looking for user feedback to update the UI in future versions. Please feel free to leave any feedback you have regarding the JetBackup 5 UI here in our forums or in our open feature request Keep JB4 cPanel interface for JB5.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team
fischer

Post by fischer »

I followed your directions down to the point of "and you will see a Change Files Selection button next to the Homedir backup selected" I do not have a "Change Files Selection" button. I assume that this is somewhat related to the fact that the backup structure is "Compressed - Encrypted"
Attachments
2021-06-17_065959.png
2021-06-17_065959.png (78.17 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello fischer,

That is correct. The Select Files option is only available for backups generated using the Incremental Backup Structure. This was is similar behavior to JetBackup 4 which would lock the Backup Structure as Incremental. Please see the following image from JetBackup 4 Restore and Download page:
jb4example.PNG
jb4example.PNG (27.3 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
I noticed that this is nowhere in our documentation and have opened a git issue with our documentation team to better reflect this information. With that said, I would like to note that our developers are currently working on redesigning the End-User UI and are open-minded and eager to hear from the community regarding changes they would like to be seen in JetBackup 5. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us build a more secure, reliable, and more user-friendly product. We have an open feature request where we are keeping track of the more popular UI features the community wants to see in JetBackup 5. Please leave any suggestions and feedback on this thread or at https://request.jetapps.com/topic/530-keep-jb4-cpanel-interface-for-jb5

Thank you for your continued support. Please let us know if we can assist further.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team
fischer

Post by fischer »

So what you are saying is that in order to restore individual files you have to use the incremental backup structure. And the only way to have encrypted backups is to NOT use the incremental backup structure. So there is no way to both encrypt a backup and restore an individual file. Is that correct?
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello fischer,

That is correct. In order to restore or download individual files, the backups must be of the Incremental Backup Structure. Additionally, Encrypted backups are limited to only Archived/Compressed Backups. These are the same limitations that existed in JetBackup 4 but our developers are always open to new suggestions and features for future updates. I strongly suggest opening a new Feature Request for Encrypted Incremental Backups in order to gain votes for development. Our development team uses the voting system to gauge the community demand for certain requests and adjusts their priority accordingly.

I apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime and thank you for your continued support. If you have any further questions, please let us know.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team