"Unable to validate connection" when creating an SSH backup destination

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
jpringle1

"Unable to validate connection" when creating an SSH backup destination

Post by jpringle1 »

I have a Synology server which i'm trying to backup my cPanel accounts to via SSH. However when i try to add it as a destination i get the error message "Unable to validate connection". I've tested the settings from PuTTY on multiple other devices across the internet and they all connect without issue, and unfortunately there isn't much information on the error message itself.

My settings are below. Can anyone shed some light on the issue i'm having? Thank you.
JetAppsClark
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: "Unable to validate connection" when creating an SSH backup destination

Post by JetAppsClark »

Hello jpringle1,

Here are a couple of steps you could check to troubleshoot your issue:

- In the screenshot provided, the backup directory path is currently set to ./, try specifying the absolute path of the backup directory for your ssh user (/home/sshuser/backuppath) when adding the destination.
- Verify that the user you're connecting to has permission to access SSH in your Synology NAS.
- Make sure the SELinux is disabled in the destination server. SELinux in “enforcing” mode on a destination server may cause connection issues with JetBackup. Please disable SELinux and reboot the backup server in order to make the changes take effect and then try to add the ssh destination again.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, can you confirm you're able to connect manually from the source server to the destination server via SSH? Do you receive any errors when doing so?

Code: Select all

ssh -p SSHPORT [email protected] 
Please let us know and we'd be glad to continue assisting with this issue.
Thank You,
Clark, JetApps Team
jpringle1

Post by jpringle1 »

I specified the absolute path of the backup folder, verified the user's access to SSH and manually connected from the source server's terminal to the destination via SSH without issue or errors.

I looked into how to disable SELinux on Synology but found no answers, so i assume Synology's OS doesn't include it in the first place.
JetAppsRichard
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by JetAppsRichard »

Hello jpringle,

Thank you for the update. To check if SELinux is enabled on your destination server, you could run the following commands:

getenforce
Which will result in either `Permissive` or `Enforcing`. If it is `Enforcing`, please run the following command to disable SELinux:

setenforce 0
If these commands do not work or you are still finding issues when trying to configure your SSH Destination on JetBackup, please open a support ticket at [email protected].

We look forward to your response.
Best Regards,
Richard, JetApps Team